Family Image

Family Image

Monday, February 25, 2008

Da Mo and the True Path

This story I am about to tell you has been told and re-told countless times. I'm sure my version is somewhat different from the original one, if one could possibly trace back to it. But I hope the meaning is not lost.

During the Liang Dynasty in China, Da Mo went to see the Emperor Wu at the imperial palace.
Emperor Wu was a devout follower of Buddhism. Naturally, he was delighted to receive this traveller from afar.

Emperor Wu told Da Mo:" I have built many pagodas and temples all over my realm. I have toiled for a time as a monk at a temple. I have read as many buddhist sutras and scripts as I possibly can. How much merits have I gained from these acts?

Da Mo replied:" None."

"Why do you say that?"

"The true path is void."

"Then, what is the highest attainment one can achieve in the Buddhist path?"

"Since its void, how can there be any highest attainment?"

The Emperor was taken aback and immensely unhappy with the answers, and promptly sent Da Mo away.

No comments: